Wednesday 17 April 2013

Life is hard. Sewing is Easy.

It feels like it has been absolutely ages since I've blogged, and those of you who follow me on Twitter will probably have noticed that I've not been tweeting as much as either. To say that life has got in the way is a huge understatement.

It feels that our family has just been lurching from one crisis to the next since the end of January. I'll spare you the details, to be honest I don't want to go there and I'm not sure I could find the words, but this little motto I read on Twitter keeps popping into my head, and seems very appropriate:

Life is Hard.
Sewing is Easy.
 
What with one thing and another, I've not really had the time/energy/inclination to do as much sewing as usual. In fact, I've not made any This is Wiss stock since the Christmas markets! But when my mum was taken into hospital, I felt so helpless that all I could think to do was sew a patchwork lap quilt for her. It helped me to feel like I was doing something on the evenings I wasn't able to visit her, something that would convey how much we love her, something that would bring her comfort, something that could hug her when we couldn't. Crafting really is amazing in that it can do all of these things, and more. It is a wonderful thing that gives equally to both the maker and the recipient. Magic!
 
The top came together quickly, and I pinned it with the wadding and backing fabric, then it sat, and sat, waiting to be quilted and bound. Again, life got in the way for a few weeks! I finally finished it last week and was in such a hurry to deliver it to mum that I forgot to take the final pictures of it. That just about shows where my head is at the moment, but I promise that I will take some and add them to this post, post-publication.
 
* I have now taken some better pictures of the quilt, so you can see it properly, and there is another one in this post)

 

 

The fabric is the 'Winter Memories' range from Tilda, and is gorgeous blend of fawn, mocha, duck egg blue, pale green, pink and cream.

It felt great to be back behind my sewing machine, so I'm going with it and welcoming the distraction and enjoyment making stuff brings. 'This is Wiss' will be back very soon at a craft fair near you (if you live in South London!) and I'm hoping to make some exciting developments too. But one step at a time...

Thanks for reading and I hope to be back again much sooner than before!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you and really appreciate you taking time out to leave comments. I will always try to respond to any messages so please, let me know what you are thinking...