Thursday 28 February 2013

World Book Day 2013

It's nearly that time of year again! In one week my twitter timeline will be full of parents either relishing dressing-up their kids as whatever obscure character they have chosen, or those absolutely hating it coming round again so soon. I'm in the first camp I'm afraid - nothing makes me smile more than children in fancy dress - and I will happily make Wiss a costume for anything!

Wiss's nursery celebrated National Storytelling Day a few weeks ago, and asked the children to dress up. It did seem a bit like starting the party early, but for a mum who wanted to blog about the outfit it was perfect!

World Book Day (7 March 2013) is a big deal all over the world, and quite rightly. I loved reading as a child and I hope that passion will be passed on to our son, especially in the digital age that he's growing up in. He does love 'reading' (he's only 3 but he turns the pages and has memorised most of his stories) and he especially loves being read to.

Julia Donaldson is a particular favourite with all of us, and 'Room on the Broom' was a new addition this Christmas. It was on the telly and we also went to see the theatre production  as a treat and Wiss was fascinated by them all.

When I asked him what he wanted to dress up as the answer came back straight away, "The Dragon!" How could I resist such a great request? Unfortunately, as things usually go (and especially at the moment in our life) I had little time, so this costume was knocked up in a couple of hours. I used fleece and felt so no hemming required!
I used a red long sleeved t-shirt as the basis of the costume: I cut up the back of the top to the neckband, but kept this intact. I cut a large zig-zagged strip from red fleece and sewed the t-shirt back together with this in the middle. The tummy was made from white fleece, with ribs sewed on for extra detail. The wings are made from pink felt and attached with velcro (so we could put a coat on to get to nursery!). Finally the red fleece head dress is based on a crown but with ears, and of course they scary yellows eyes on top. The red trousers are models own!


So there you have it, one super quick Dragon outfit! In the story the Dragon wants to have 'Witch and chips' for his tea, but do you know what he eats for breakfast?

Rice Krispies of course!
If you'd like some more inspiration for World Book Day then why not have a look at the week long series of posts I ran last year? There's costume ideas, games to play and top recommendations for fab kids books, plus more! And I'd love to hear what your little ones are going to be dressing up as this year, so please leave a comment. Until next time, happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you and really appreciate you taking time out to leave comments. I will always try to respond to any messages so please, let me know what you are thinking...