Saturday 3 March 2012

World Book Day Event Part 3


Welcome to Day 3 of the World Book Day event here on This is Wiss!
I have a very special guest blogger today - this is her first ever post! I'll come clean straight away: I have known Jo since we were 11 years old and started school together. She is an extremely talented illustrator and has worked making props for the advertising industry, as well as teaching at the University of Essex. She has fantastic taste in style and  design which extends to every aspect her life, including family life with her two children. So who better to ask for ideas on stunning illustrated children's books?


"My name is Jo, and I am an addict. I am hooked on books, especially the picture kind. I have passed my pages problem onto my two children and I am going to share with you a selection from their groaning book shelves...(or is that my husband?!)

Here it is, my much deliberated twenty-one (it started out as five!) favourite picture book list. They have been selected purely for looks, so although many would have also made the cut of a best story book list, think of this as a booky beauty pageant. You be the judge.

I found it tough to shortlist these books, and not least to select a particular book from each of the featured illustrator’s ‘canon’ to best represent their utter brilliance, so I suggest that if you approve of my selections, you check out the rest of their work. Geniuses all.

This is not a chart run-down, they are all No.1’s……


'There are Cats in This Book' by Viviane Schwartz


'Jim: A Cautionary Tale' by Hillaire Belloc and Mini Grey

'The Incredible Book Eating Boy' by Oliver Jeffers

'Popville' by Anouck Boisrobert & Louis Rigaud

'Hansel and Gretal' by Cynthia Rylant

'I Want My Hat Back' by Jon Klassen

'Harry and Horsie' by Katie van Camp


'For Just One Day' by Marc Boutivant

'Noisy Neighbours' by Ruth Green

'An Awesome Book' by Dallas Clayton


'And The Train Goes...' by William Bee
'People' by Blex Bolex

'Iggy Peck, Architect' by Davis Roberts

'The Lonesome Puppy' by Yoshitomo Nara

'Zombie in Love' by Scott Campbell

'Eli, No!' by Katie Kirk
'Children Make Terrible Pets' by Peter Brown

'Mr Big' by Ed Vere

'Harry the Dirty Dog' by Margaret Bloy Graham

'Operation Alphabet' by Luciano Lazano

'Wonderbear' by Tao Nyeu

Also, I could have included Jonny Duddle, Adam Rex and Chris Judge but you gotta stop somewhere..."

Wow! There are some absolute gems in that line up, and I know that Jo had even more she wanted to include too! If you would like to hear more from Jo then please leave me a comment below (I'm trying to persuade her to write a blog herself as she has a wealth of fabulous information, tips and cool ideas.)

As always, please check out the Official World Book Day website - they have online games and trailers to watch as well as recipes and other downloads, all with your favourite books.

The World Book Day event continues here tomorrow with a guest post from Emma of Lemons for Lemonade. Make sure you pop back as you won't want to miss what she has made!

4 comments:

  1. Love the illustrations, great list Jo. Have just started my own blog www.tumblr.com/blog/can-i-have-that
    I'm only a few days in and any tips or advice would be appreciated. I like your informal commentary, I'm going to have to work on that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the selection...some new (to us) titles we might just have to take a peek at and some we already own and love. :)) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Coxeylou, thanks for visiting. I'm afraid I'm not signed up to tumblr so couldn't ready your blog but I wish you all the best. My only advice would be to write about what you know, and to have fun with it! I try to make sure each post has a clear idea underpinning it but try things out and you will find your voice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank for the info, have really been enjoying my first week or so blogging. Now on blogger too, still getting to grips with it all. (I love your Mr Tickle photo shoot, it really made me smile).

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you and really appreciate you taking time out to leave comments. I will always try to respond to any messages so please, let me know what you are thinking...